R&B Archives shows
About R&B Archives
The Origins of R&B Archives
In March of 2022, I started a discussion among my family and friends to hear their opinion on the best decade of R&B music. Most of my friends were born in the 70s and 80s, so naturally the 90s won the debate. With my family, I got a range of responses from the 50s through the 90s. Since the 90s was my decade of growth and maturity, I decided to create a radio station that paid homage to that era in my life.
R&B Archives Pays Homage
R&B Archives pays homage to the era of R&B that accompanied my adolescent years, while encouraging our listeners to live abundantly. My adolescent years took place in the 1990s. They were exhilarating, yet tumultuous years. Still, music and sports were the true constants. So much took place during that decade. Most of it was good…most of it was great. The R&B torch was carried well by groups, like BlackStreet, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, New Edition, Shai, Silk, SWV, and Xscape. Music was not the only scene that was jumping. Sports were amazing. And television shows and movies were highly entertaining. I feel blessed to have grown up in the 90s. Those years were filled with life experiences that accelerated my growth and maturity. Some were really good memories, but many were not. All-in-all, I loved that decade. I loved the bonds that I created while competing in sports. I loved all the amazing music that was produced during those years. And I grew to appreciate the life lessons–though painful and difficult–the decade taught me. Despite the ups and downs of the decade, music was present as a source of joy and comfort. This project is a labor of love to highlight the music that influenced and reflected the culture of the 1990s.
Some of My 1990’s Life Experiences
Despite the ups and downs of the decade, music was present as a source of joy and comfort.
- 1990: My mom, brother, and I made a major move together. I was happy to see that move. The bloody handprints of Birmingham, AL had left an impression on me that I was ready to leave behind.
- 1990: The Atlanta Braves help me fall in love with my new home quickly, by making it exciting to watch baseball.
- 1990-91: It was the first time that I can remember the country being at war.
- 1991: The Chicago Bulls went an a winning spree to become one of the greatest NBA franchisees.
- 1991: It was the only year that I competed in the Georgia State Games. And I won a 2nd Place medal in the high jump.
- 1992: I meet my best friend. We have been friends for more than 30 years.
- 1992: America was confronted with grim footage of excessive, police force. The fall out resulted in riots that caused 2,000 injuries, 12,000 arrests, 63 deaths, and $1 billion in damages to the city.
- 1994-95: I had my first ‘real’ girlfriend and first real heartbreak.
- 1995: A home grown terrorist conspired to blow up a federal building that killed 168 people, including 19 children.
- 1996: The Olympics came to my backyard, but was met with an explosion that injured .
- 1996: I was elected as Vice-President of my high school’s student council.
- 1999: It was the first time that I ever heard of anyone conducting a mass shooting at a school. Unfortunately, that would not be the last killing spree at a school.
These were doses of reality that forced me to grasp the good and evil nature of life.
This site serves several purposes. Below is a list of items that are priority for the site.
- Offer a radio station that focuses on 90s R&B.
- Compile a catalog of 90s R&B that is housed right here on the site.
- Create a playlist of all of my favorite tracks from the decade.
My Favourite Quote
“Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.” ~ Seneca